Home

Putting it all Together

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We have really only got a bit of finishing to do on the project now. We have worked out how we are going to feed the balls into the machine now, and have put in the extra runners. We worked out how to make stop all the falling balls from flying all over the place using a ramped surface on the bottom and a gutter to collect them, as well as a Perspex sheet on the front of the machine. We have prototyped how the servos will attach to the doors and have managed to find a way to attach them. We have started to combine the electronics and the structure together but its still an something we need to work on to make it fit nicely and also run smoothly. The only thing when you build such as big structure is it need lot of cable to connect all the parts together, it has also been a bit of a challenge to make some parts of the cable separable as it we need to move the parts about. We have got some curtains now but me still need to attach them and make the whole structure look like a street performance piece. We will soon be releasing a press release and video of the product so watch this space, as we think the final result should be quite interesting.

Peep Show

Leave a comment

This is part of some research we did into street performance culture in China.

Big Progress

Leave a comment

Today was a really productive day for the project, and we can now clearly see the how all the parts of the amazing machine fit together. The Frame now holds all the parts we have been working on above the xylophone. Some work still need to be done to strengthen and stabilize the structure and shelves. A solenoid has now been programed to release a single ball at a time when it is trigged by the key on the organ. As we intend this product to be a performance piece we have made it quite portable, due to the structure,but also easily dissembled and assembled. We want to make the structure more of a show piece by putting a curtain on the front. Not only did we put wheels on the structure we also put them on the organ for ease of use. We still need to work on fitting and fine-tuning the mechanics so the machine functions smoothly. One thing we have noticed from testing it is that we will need to work out a way of catching the balls that seem to bounce unpredictably. It will be really exciting to get everything working smoothly, because it already looks quite interesting.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The Plan

Leave a comment

The Ball Mechanism

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

when we desided what our final would look like we started to build it. we desided that a wooden frame would be the best material.

Making The Keys

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We have been making keys for the Xylophone as they did not come with any. All the pieces were cut to size using an equation to ensure the keys sat on their nodes. To get perfect sounds can take years and can be costly. The keys actually sound surprisingly good considering they are made from softwood. The quality of the sound is improved greatly due to the quality of the resonator which the keys sit on.

Sketch Video

Leave a comment

Pyrotechnics new sketch video of their machine called the “Musical Organon”