Home

Current Blog

Leave a comment

Current Blog

I’m in transition over from my old blog onto this one. For my past blog entry’s please follow the link here

The Press Release

4 Comments

The Musical Organon is an interactive performance piece that changes the way people interact with street performance, achieved through a series of sound interactions.

Check out the Press Release Site at:

http://www.wix.com/thepyrotechnics/musical-organon

The Final Touches

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Now that we have all the components we just need to assemble the final parts of the puzzle. This is literally the final stretch, once we had assembled all the components all we had left to do was to try it out. Luckily James went on holiday recently to Singapore. While he was there he noticed that there were many people playing large box like instruments on the street (this is much like the concept that we are using). These musical boxes used bells and chimes to create sound and this inspired James. He then went out and bought bells for our machine, we installed them and we believe that this gives the machine a new element of life as it is much louder and exiting now. we are very happy to announce not only that it works but it works better that we could have possibly have imagined. There were times that we believed that it just wasn’t going to function as we needed it to but with careful programming and slight adjustments we can finally say it is working.

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Now that we have completed the electronics it’s time to install them into the product body. It turns out its easier said than done; the main difficulty is finding a way to connect all the wires without having wires hanging everywhere. There are so many connections that must be attached; this is an issue due to the fact that the circuitry is very temperamental.
Once we had attached all the wires together and completed the circuit installation we needed to synchronise the program with the speed of the rolling balls. The doors must be programed to open and stay open until the ball reaches them. This is an easy enough process.
The ball drop mechanism is the most temperamental part of our product as it changes its mind on its operation after every ball launch. This was an obvious problem so we worked hard to remedy it. We eventually fixed it and the balls now drop at a very successful rate (one at a time… when there supposed to).
The next stage is to do the final touches to the body and then install the curtains, after that the product shall be complete.

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We decided early on that we wanted to incorporate curtains into the design. The reason for this was to make the product look like a stage show (adding to the street performance aspect). So we went out and bought a large length of curtain material. Once we had obtained the material we cut to size and hemmed it, this led to a smother finish. Once all the material was cut we fitted tot o the product body with tape, to see the fitting. We intend to attach the material with pins or staples at a later date (once all work in the workshop is complete).

Putting it all Together

Leave a comment

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We have really only got a bit of finishing to do on the project now. We have worked out how we are going to feed the balls into the machine now, and have put in the extra runners. We worked out how to make stop all the falling balls from flying all over the place using a ramped surface on the bottom and a gutter to collect them, as well as a Perspex sheet on the front of the machine. We have prototyped how the servos will attach to the doors and have managed to find a way to attach them. We have started to combine the electronics and the structure together but its still an something we need to work on to make it fit nicely and also run smoothly. The only thing when you build such as big structure is it need lot of cable to connect all the parts together, it has also been a bit of a challenge to make some parts of the cable separable as it we need to move the parts about. We have got some curtains now but me still need to attach them and make the whole structure look like a street performance piece. We will soon be releasing a press release and video of the product so watch this space, as we think the final result should be quite interesting.

Peep Show

Leave a comment

This is part of some research we did into street performance culture in China.

Older Entries